Monday, November 05, 2012

It is that time again..................

The time of year has come again when Longwood's server will crash multiple times within a few days.  Students will fight with all of the other students in their class, from behind their laptop screens to get that coveted spot in the classes that they want or need to take to hopefully complete their degree evaluation on time and therefore graduate on time.  Yes. You guessed it. It is class registration time.  

If you happen to be on the Longwood Campus on certain days throughout the next few weeks, at 6:00 AM, then do not be alarmed when you hear loud screams, shrieks and yelling.  Shouts of “No!” or “YES!” often frequent the halls during the registration mornings.  The entire process takes around 1-6 minutes.  The three times that I have signed up, it has taken around 2 minutes, from start to finish.  You login into MyLongwood, get to the register classes page and wait. When the clock turns 6:00, you sign-in, as does everyone else and their brother- therefore causing the system to crash repeatedly, and type in the CRN numbers and hope hope hope for the best. When the next screen shows up, you get to see what classes you managed to get into and you go from there.

Class registration means many things. For me it means planning out my life, only to erase what does not fit and try to fix it, and then finding the perfect schedule, only to find out days before my time slot, that a class or two that I had planned on taking, had been filled. Then the cycle starts again, trying to get an appropriate number of credits all while trying to make sure that I do not plan classes to close together, or too many in a row, so that I will not end up completely and utterly stressed out. 

For the past few days, I have been in the planning stage, picking classes and trying to cram them all into a week without overlap and while hopefully not getting awful professors.  But...that is lower on the priority list than getting the classes to begin with. 

As of now, I will be taking 18 credits. YIKES! I had 15 credits, but then, the schedule that I had drawn out on Google Calendar, looked empty and it looked like I had too much free time, so I decided to add another 3 credit class. I am hoping that I don't regret adding this class when Spring Semester rolls around.  As of now, I have 3-4 classes Monday –Thursday and none on Friday!

*While reading what I wrote I went back to check and make sure and realized that I had screwed up the times for one of the classes….UGH…back to 15 credits and looking for another…

*****UPDATE*****
I was able to find another 3 credit class that would fit in the time periods that I had open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment